Last Uopdate: 14 May 2020.
During this challenging time, a number of our vendors and ourselves are offering customers the ability to access software and services for free or at reduced rates. This blog is a compilation of these for easy access.
As more and more people begin working from home, this blog also serves as a repository of useful tools and tips for effectively working remote from the workplace.
If you know of anything that should be included here, please add to the comments below.
Coronavirus Freebies, Discounts & Vendor Resources
Adobe has implementing a number of programmes intended to provide continued access to our products as the COVID-19 situation develops, including
- students now have free, personal in-home access to Creative Cloud
- web-based PDF services on Adobe.com free through 31 May 2020
- extending the renewal grace period to 60 days for Creative Cloud and Document Cloud team and enterprise customers in the Value Incentive Plan (VIP)
For all Adobe programme details, visit the Adobe Program Changes page.
Recognising the importance of data management and security during the pandemic, Archiware is supporting customers with a free license of the P5 Desktop LTO Edition.
- Registration for a license will be available until July 31st, 2020
- The P5 Desktop LTO Edition includes P5 Archive and P5 Backup, for use with a single LTO tape drive
- Bundle is perfect for media professionals and SMBs in the Media & Entertainment industry, who require a professional archive and/or backup solution
For further details, visit the Archiware License Request page.
Autodesk has implemented programs to support customers. Resources include
- Free access to Autodesk software, content and curriculum
- Information about using Autodesk products from home
- Home use licence requests
- Free Autodesk Cloud Collaboration Services
Full, up-to-date details are available via the Autodesk COVID-19 Autodesk Resource Centre. You can also read How Autodesk Is Helping Communities, Customers, and Employees Impacted by COVID-19.
Avid has implemented programs to support customers. Resources include
- Temporary licenses of Media Composer | Ultimate, Pro Tools, Pro Tools | Ultimate and Sibelius | Ultimate
- 90-day licenses for students that cannot attend classes
- A Media Composer Remote Options Guide (PDF)
- A Pro Tools Cloud Collaboration Guide (PDF)
Full, up-to-date details are available via the Avid coronavirus update page.
AWS is giving free of charge working from home and business continuity planning solutions until 30 June 2020:
- Workspaces — Setup scalable remote/virtual Desktop-as-a-Service within hours, globally. Employees can access work computer with just a browser and internet connection
- Chime — Communications service that lets you meet, chat, and place business calls inside and outside your organisation
- WorkDocs — Content collaboration and creation platform
AWS has also increased assistance for Connect — Cloud contact centre solution that can be deployed within 15 minutes.
To help those that have had to disrupt a normal working environment and move editing, compositing, and motion graphics work to homes, Boris FX is offering:
- Free 60-day "at home" licenses for Sapphire, Continuum, Mocha Pro, and Silhouette for all qualifying Boris FX customers to replace their floating licenses locked in the office. Read the BorisFX FAQ for more details
- The Boris FX Application Manager — a free download that helps easily deactivate and reactivate node-locked licenses, ideal for moving an installed license to a new workstation. Read more BorisFX Application Manager information
Keep up-to-date with the "Boris FX Offers Remote Access To Help Customers: COVID-19 Update" page.
Chaos Group V-Ray, Chaos Cloud Credits
Chaos has created Chaos software remote usage documentation to make sure that everyone working from home can access their software. This covers V-Ray, Phoenix FD & Pdplayer Licenses. In addition
- The Chaos Cloud rendering service remains fully operational and represents a viable option for customers working remotely. Chaos is reducing the price to ensure the service is as accessible as possible. Order Chaos Cloud Credits online at reduced pricing.
- The new Licensing server is available, allowing for the quick, self-service transfer of licenses from dongles to the Online Licensing Server (OLS). If licenses are not migrated to the OLS, they will remain active on the dongles.
- To support educational customers during campus closures, Chaos has enabled distance learning with free student/educator licenses for all university customers
cineXtools can help ensure you're as productive remotely as you would be during typical operations. From now until April 3rd, you can get a one month license of cineXtools free of charge to help ensure you're proactive in the face of the remote demands we're all working to accommodate. Get a one month license of cineXtools free of charge.
ContentAgent, which can help streamline remote editing workflows, is offering free ContentAgent licenses for a period of 30 days to help streamline remote productivity. There are free licenses applicable for existing and new customers (including guidence as needed). Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details on the free licenses. Download ContentAgent overview information.
Content+Technology Free Work Wanted Ads
Content+Technology magazine is running free Work Wanted ads in its eNews bulletins. They are welcoming production and technology staff to make submissions. Include what type of work you're looking for, contact details, LinkedIn profile, etc. and email email@example.com.
Dejero is undertaking several activities to ensure video and connectivity needs are continuing to be met. These include
- Free mobile apps
- Expert and Remote Provider Access
- Help with portable kits with Dejero equipment for remote connectivity and off-premises video and data transmission
Read their statement at the Dejero "Responding to COVID-19" page.
View EditShare's message from the CEO which contains video information plus details of their offerings, which include
- making EditShare's media management solution, Flow, available for FREE through July 1, 2020 to anyone working to simplify storytelling and keep our communities connected.
- setting up a series of interactive webinars, blogs, and demonstrations on remote production and remote collaboration solutions
Here are a few suggestions on how best to keep your monitor sanitized for a safer working environment. This post outlines the chemicals that may be used for disinfecting and cleaning of EIZO monitors and accessories but is generally useful for all monitors.
Now might be the right time to focus on learning new 3D skills for your career. Greyscalegorilla has decided to temporarily extend their student discount for Greyscalegorilla Plus to everyone. Use the code "LEARN3D" during checkout for USD150 off the first year of Greyscalegorilla Plus. Read the letter from Greyscalegorilla founder, Nick Campbell.
IBM Aspera on Cloud: Free 90-Day Offer
In these times of travel restrictions and work from home policies, many employees may not be properly enabled to work remotely. To help them maintain business continuity, IBM is eliminating the cost of using the Aspera cloud service for high-speed file sharing and team collaboration. New organizations can subscribe to IBM Aspera on Cloud for ninety days at no charge.
SNS Nomad is a new utility that helps our EVO users work from anywhere. It is available immediately, free to all EVO users.
To help support folks during these times, Unity is providing all users with three months' complimentary access to Unity Learn Premium. Just log in to start learning. You can also Learn how to design your own video game for free with a seven-week course with live instruction.